Nonprofit organizations that have nurtured a culture of philanthropy among its constituents are the most effective at raising money for their missions. What do I mean by culture of philanthropy? Nonprofits with a culture of philanthropy tend to:
- focus less on money and more on relationships.
- focus less on financial needs and more on winning people, programs and solutions.
- balance being donor-centered and mission-focused effectively.
- have established annual giving programs that support effective major gifts programs.
- have boards and staff who all donate.
- have volunteers involved at every level of fundraising.
- have engaged board members and senior leadership teams who accept responsibility in sustaining this culture of philanthropy.
It takes time to develop a culture of philanthropy.
Time well spent!
[updated with links]