I’ve written about videos in the past and how they can turn viewers into advocates for and contributors to your organizations. We now have compelling evidence that shows for a third of all donors between the ages of 18 and 48, video is important to the causes they support. No surprise that the majority of Millennials (56%) view online videos about charities they support, and nearly half (46%) of Gen Xers (including me) do the same. Although a similar comparison is not available for baby boomers, who represent 43% of the total giving, we do know that 81% of boomers are already on YouTube. Also, 80% of donors used online video to learn more about a nonprofit organization.
With these statistics as a backdrop, let’s take a look at three examples of how an anniversary video can provide an opportunity to build brand loyalty while deepening emotional engagement with your stakeholders. Whether your organization is turning 20, 50 or 100 years old, there are many reasons to celebrate:
- This recent centennial video by The Rockefeller Foundation celebrates “100 Years of Philanthropy.” We learn of life-changing work made possible by social innovation and a dynamic philanthropic ecosystem on a global scale:
- Amnesty International marked its 50th anniversary in 2011 by shining a light on humans rights to inspire support to remain a powerful force for freedom:
- The Tennessee Aquarium, on the occasion of their 20th anniversary in 2012, kicked off the festivities with a video tribute and call for support:
Making a video today is easier and more affordable than ever. Many organizations now have in-house digital production talent, and with online tools like Animoto or Vine, anyone can get started making short or super-short videos straight away. For local production professionals, we have Atomic Films, Fancy Rhino and WTCI-PBS as well as freelancers like Phillip Luckey and Randy Liner, to name a few.
Nonprofit organizations celebrating an institutional milestone will benefit from sharing intentional, high quality video through multiple channels as a way to inform and engage with your key stakeholders during a natural time of celebration.
Have you seen an anniversary video lately that inspired you?
- Blackbaud’s Generational giving report infographic
- Powerful videos inspire support Engage and Influence Donors with a Video
- Engage and Influence Donors With Video
Editor’s note: Welcome to the new look of Nonprofitunity!