A quick read of the BoardSource website says they have “more than 12,000 nonprofit leaders from around the globe.” One of my main reasons for joining BoardSource, in addition to the incredible publications they offer, was to have greater access to their professional growth opportunities. Below is a sampling of their upcoming offerings. As you will see, membership does have its privileges, but there is a nonmember rate as well.
1) BoardSource Webinar 201: Generate Buzz: Engaging Board Members as Ambassadors, Wed., Aug. 24, 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Member $40/ nonmember $75). This Webinar will discuss mechanisms for involving the board as an active partner in maintaining and enhancing the image, programs, and outreach of your organization. The Webinar will explore mechanisms for engaging each board member as a more active participant in the outreach and communications priorities of the organization.
2) Vital Facilitation Techniques – Wed. Sept. 20, 2011, 8:30am – 4:00pm (Member Price: $425/ nonmember $465) Location: Hilton Atlanta. A one-day interactive seminar on essential facilitation techniques for seasoned consultants, trainers, board and committee chairs, CEOs or executive directors, and others who work with governing boards and/or advisory groups. Board facilitation is an exhilarating and often strenuous effort sustained by discipline and technique. It focuses on facilitation within a culture of inquiry, exploring the dynamics of exceptional boards and constructive, intellectually honest debate that must precede collective decisions.
Registration is limited to 30 people. Attendance is recommended for:
- consultants, trainers, management assistance providers, directors of training
- field staff from national organizations who offer their help to nonprofit boards and advisory groups
- board chairs, committee chairs, CEOs and executive directors who regularly facilitate board, advisory group, committee, or staff meetings
3) Purposeful Boards, Powerful Fundraising – Wed. Sept. 20, 2011, 8:30am – 4:00pm (Member Price: $195/ nonmember $230) Location: Hilton Atlanta. Have you lost government funding, or will you see less government funding in the future? Does your Board need to participate in philanthropic fundraising for the first time? Do you have the ‘correct’ Board for successful fundraising? This full day workshop begins with a close look at board recruitment, structure, operations and culture, knowing that mediocre or dysfunctional boards don’t raise funds effectively. The second part of the workshop focuses on how to involve good board members in effective fundraising. To maximize the benefit of this session, staff members should be accompanied by at least one board member but preferably two or three. [Love it!! np] Perfect for board-staff teams, this practical session, one of BoardSource’s highest rated sessions, addresses the complementary roles board members play in their organization’s governance and resource development.
For a complete listing, including details about the annual BoardSource Leadership Forum, click here.