Today wraps up the All Things Digital D10 Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. D10 organizers describe the event as “conversations with the most influential figures in media and technology.” I believe if nonprofits intend to stay relevant into the future, it is important to pay attention to the current and emerging internet trends that will surely impact our work. Digital investment analyst Mary Meeker, Partner at Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, presented her annual Internet Trends report yesterday at D10. The report has some tech jargon but is still worthwhile.
A few highlights from her 2012 report include:
- iPad adoption is 3x faster than iPhone adoption.
- Android Phone adoption 4x faster than iPhone.
- Mobile internet usage will surpass desktop usage in the U.S. within 1-3 years; in India, mobile internet usage has already surpassed desktop internet usage. ["Mobile" devices are small, hand-held computing devices like smartphones and tablets.]
- Mobile eCommerce is 8% of USA eCommerce. This is relevant to nonprofits because online giving often trends similar to eCommerce.
- Re-imagination of nearly everything, powered by new devices: pages 30-84 are snapshots of a variety of THEN and NOWs.
I am pleased to share the informative report as a PDF below:
- Mary Meekers KPCB Internet Trends 2012 PDF
- Or you may prefer to view the slideshow version online here.
Then share this with your staff and volunteer leaders, and use it to jump-start (or continue!) conversations about integrating your nonprofit with the fast-emerging mobile internet world.